The King Fahd National Library is an initiative of the people of Riyadh, and it is a National Library located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia's capital. The library's construction was announced at the ceremony marking King Fahd's accession to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia in 1983, and construction began in 1986 over a wide area of 58 thousand square meters.
And from its total area, about 30 thousand square meters had been allocated for a garden for the library and a walkway inside it, and about 28 thousand square meters was allocated for the library building, the areas of the main building reached about 23 thousand square meters, and after doing the development and expansion work for the library it became on an area of 87 thousand square meters, where it includes special parking for library staff located below ground level to maintain the aesthetic appearance of the main library building
The library was built as a memorial landmark at the initiative and expense of locals. It is an architectural marvel, and the Riyadh City Development Authority took part by providing land as well as architectural and technical oversight of the designs, construction processes, and management.
The designs were made for the establishment of the Public Library and then it was converted into a National Library to preserve all the cultural information related to Saudi Arabia, and this was under the care of the custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz, who was interested in the establishment and construction of the library and its full equipment, he was also the chairman of the Advisory Committee during the construction phase
Then Saudi Arabia finally had the design and construction of a luxurious National Library worthy for the state after a long time of waiting
History of the National Central Library
The history of the establishment of the central library dates back to the desire of citizens to express their feelings of loyalty and love to the custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Fahd at that time, and this by creating a commemorative monument when the government was born in 1402 Hijri and accordingly they have now decided on the idea of creating the library project at their own expense but with the support of the government as well.
The Central Library building was constructed with three higher levels and a bottom floor covered by a planetarium distinguished by luxury and splendor of design, as the entire library was designed in a modern manner, and it is also embellished with marble inscriptions and Arabic patterns.
The most important thing that distinguishes the Central Library is its wonderful strategic location, as it was established between King Fahd Road on the western side and Al Olaya Street on the eastern side, which makes it easy to access simply and smoothly, in addition to the prominence and clarity of the place
The Fahd Central Library is located right in the middle of Riyadh, making it one of the city's most distinctive features, and it is equipped with waiting and resting areas. The construction of the library began and was completed in 1406 Hijri, under the supervision and patronage of the Riyadh city secretariat, to begin full-time planning for the development, organization, and preparation of the library, as well as the laying of the foundation stone for the technical and administrative staff.
Since 1409, the foundation, equipment, and construction of the Central Library have been carried out, and the Central Library has been able to accomplish many successful achievements since its opening in a short period.
The Riyadh city secretariat also helped to form the first block in the organization and development of human cadres, develop the library's Holdings and equip them in the best possible way to help carry out its goals and reach them successfully
Such as documentation work, maintaining the intellectual production of the state of Saudi Arabia, and providing the necessary information services to help the country in development and growth.